PSPA Dancers attended Take Center Stage Dance Competition this past weekend (Feb 9-10) in Providence RI. Not only did they have a successful weekend, but the studio was also presented with the coveted “Spirit Award” at the conclusion of the awards ceremony. This award says so much more than a trophy can ever say. The Spirit Award is a great testament to the character of our dancers and parents. Thank you to being supportive of your fellow dancers and for representing our studio on and off the stage.
Handspring & Aerial Workshop
January 21, 2019
Ages 8 -18
with Acrobatic Arts Certified Instructor, Alyssa Marucci
Handspring and Aerial Workshop is with Alyssa Marucci. Ms. Alyssa is an Acrobatic Arts Certified Instructor and National Award Winning Acro Choreographer. This class is open to all area students ages 8 and up who have mastered all their cartwheel options and can execute a back walk over.
Save the Date Dance Fans!
December 2, 2018
Ages 4 – 10
Put on your fancy dress and enjoy a delightful reading of ETA Hoffmanns’ 1816 Nutcracker. Your dancer will be able to meet various character and have photos taken with them! There will be tasty treats to eat too! This is perfect for those who are not ready to sit through a Nutcracker Ballet or to prepare for the upcoming holiday performances!
And we can’t forget our parents!
All parents who register their child for the event before midnight on November 22nd will be entered to win a pair of tickets to Comedy Night at the Pembroke Knights of Columbus on November 29th. We have 4 tickets to give away – so TWO names will be drawn on Black Friday, November 23rd. Winners can pick their tickets up at the studio.
Nutcracker Tea Sign Up
PSPA can now professionally recognize our outstanding students for their artistic merit, leadership, and academic achievement, creating parity with other academic disciplines who sponsor honor societies.
What is NHSDA?
The National Honor Society for Dance Arts™ (NHSDA) is a program of the National Dance Education Organization. It is one of the most exciting benefits that NDEO offers its Institutional Members. The Secondary Program (grades 9-12) was implemented in 2005. The Collegiate Program was implemented in 2012, and a Junior Program (grades 6-8) was separated out from the Secondary Program and officially launched in 2016. To date, there are over 1,000 chapters in the US and over 10,000 students have been inducted in the past two years.
- Distinguish yourself on a college application
- Recognition of your artistic merit, academic achievement, and leadership throughout your educational experience (Junior High – Collegiate)
- You will receive certificates at each level of induction
- You have the opportunity to wear the gold Honor Pin and blue and white Honor Cords at your High School graduation!
- Opportunities for mentorship from PSPA and networking with peers
- Leadership and development opportunities within PSPA’s NHSDA Chapter, opportunities to assist the Chapter Sponsor with Chapter administration, record keeping, fundraising, and event planning
- Opportunity for a NHSDA award for up to $1000
How can I apply?
- Contact the front desk to let us know you are applying!
- Then go online to https://www.nhsda-ndeo.org/
- Click on the Find Your Chapter button to search for Pembroke School of Performing Arts
- Enter Pembroke School of Performing Arts in the Chapter Name field. Then choose your school from the list of results.
- PSPA has both a Junior and Secondary chapter. Make sure to apply to the correct one. Click on the Apply button for the appropriate chapter type.
- Fill out the application form. Remember to check the spelling and capitalization of your name, as that is how it will appear on your certificate.
NHSDA Induction Information
Induction is open to students in grades 6 – 12.
- Junior: Grades 6 – 8
- Secondary: Grades 9 – 12
We will host an annual induction ceremony for all dancers who meet the necessary points in the Spring of each school year.
Induction is based on an accumulation of points:
- Dancers in grades 9-12 (secondary) must achieve 30 points to be eligible for induction, 20 must be earned through participation in chapter site program activities
- Dancers in grades 6-8 (junior) must achieve 15 points to be eligible for induction, 10 must be earned through participation in chapter site program activities
How do I earn points?
We will provide a “point” sheet with additional information but here is a snapshot:
|Completion of hours at a PSPA dance program
||1 point per 45 hours
|Performance in chapter site dance production (including rehearsal time)
||1-3 points per production
|Participation in chapter site dance festival or workshop
||.5 points per day
|Taking a leadership role within NHSDA chapter
||2-3 points per role
|Acting as a class assistant
||1-3 points per event
How do I track points?
Students should track their points and provide the Chapter Sponsor with a record of points earned through the worksheet provided to you. If you need a copy of this worksheet, please contact the front desk.
For points earned outside of chapter activities, verification of points earned should be provided to the Chapter Sponsor through playbills, registration forms, or photos.
Pembroke School of Performing Arts dancers will be performing at 6 local elementary schools this November as they tell the story of Gwendolyn the Graceful Pig.
Gwendolyn the Graceful Pig, is a children’s picture book by David Ira Rottenburg that tells the story of two best friends (pig best friends that is) who have really big dreams. Omar wishes he could be a football player, while Gwendolyn wants nothing more than to be a ballerina.
Using movement and dance, our students will be assisting the author David as he reads his story to the elementary students.
We are always so thankful when given the opportunity to give back to our own community and we truly can’t wait for you to hear this wonderful story!
Check out the website to learn more about the program: http://www.gwendolynthegracefulpig.com/
Pembroke School of Performing Arts Dance Teams presents their 2017-2018 Student Showcase. This showcase is comprised of dance routines that have competed regionally this season. Dancers will perform their solos, duos/trios, small and large groups, and production numbers for YOU! ALL of our Dance Teams have been selected to compete at the National Level this Summer in Providence RI. This Showcase is designed to raise funds for the dancers to help offset the cost of the National Competition.
If you are a local business, and would like to provide a gift card or merchandise for raffling, or monetary donation; please contact the studio. Thank you!
The showcase will take place: May 19th, 2018 @ 6:30 PM. Pembroke High School 80 Learning Ln Pembroke, MA
Tickets will be $20 and can be purchased by contacting a Team member or the studio. Tickets will also be sold at the door. Thank you!
South Shore Dance Studio, Pembroke School of Performing Arts is excited to introduce, Circus Dance Camp 🎪🎭 to our Summer 2018 lineup!Read More