PSPA can now professionally recognize our outstanding students for their artistic merit, leadership, and academic achievement, creating parity with other academic disciplines who sponsor honor societies.
What is NHSDA?
The National Honor Society for Dance Arts™ (NHSDA) is a program of the National Dance Education Organization. It is one of the most exciting benefits that NDEO offers its Institutional Members. The Secondary Program (grades 9-12) was implemented in 2005. The Collegiate Program was implemented in 2012, and a Junior Program (grades 6-8) was separated out from the Secondary Program and officially launched in 2016. To date, there are over 1,000 chapters in the US and over 10,000 students have been inducted in the past two years.
- Distinguish yourself on a college application
- Recognition of your artistic merit, academic achievement, and leadership throughout your educational experience (Junior High – Collegiate)
- You will receive certificates at each level of induction
- You have the opportunity to wear the gold Honor Pin and blue and white Honor Cords at your High School graduation!
- Opportunities for mentorship from PSPA and networking with peers
- Leadership and development opportunities within PSPA’s NHSDA Chapter, opportunities to assist the Chapter Sponsor with Chapter administration, record keeping, fundraising, and event planning
- Opportunity for a NHSDA award for up to $1000
How can I apply?
- Contact the front desk to let us know you are applying!
- Then go online to https://www.nhsda-ndeo.org/
- Click on the Find Your Chapter button to search for Pembroke School of Performing Arts
- Enter Pembroke School of Performing Arts in the Chapter Name field. Then choose your school from the list of results.
- PSPA has both a Junior and Secondary chapter. Make sure to apply to the correct one. Click on the Apply button for the appropriate chapter type.
- Fill out the application form. Remember to check the spelling and capitalization of your name, as that is how it will appear on your certificate.
NHSDA Induction Information
Induction is open to students in grades 6 – 12.
- Junior: Grades 6 – 8
- Secondary: Grades 9 – 12
We will host an annual induction ceremony for all dancers who meet the necessary points in the Spring of each school year.
Induction is based on an accumulation of points:
- Dancers in grades 9-12 (secondary) must achieve 30 points to be eligible for induction, 20 must be earned through participation in chapter site program activities
- Dancers in grades 6-8 (junior) must achieve 15 points to be eligible for induction, 10 must be earned through participation in chapter site program activities
How do I earn points?
We will provide a “point” sheet with additional information but here is a snapshot:
|Completion of hours at a PSPA dance program||1 point per 45 hours|
|Performance in chapter site dance production (including rehearsal time)||1-3 points per production|
|Participation in chapter site dance festival or workshop||.5 points per day|
|Taking a leadership role within NHSDA chapter||2-3 points per role|
|Acting as a class assistant||1-3 points per event|
How do I track points?
Students should track their points and provide the Chapter Sponsor with a record of points earned through the worksheet provided to you. If you need a copy of this worksheet, please contact the front desk.
For points earned outside of chapter activities, verification of points earned should be provided to the Chapter Sponsor through playbills, registration forms, or photos.